Blueberry jam and smoked ricotta tart
Blueberry jam and smoked ricotta tart. The breakfast tart that tastes like Friuli and mountains
Can a cake taste like a region? This blueberry jam and smoked ricotta tart sure can. A particular tart with an unusual combination that you will love. A tart for breakfast, but also for tea time.
When you’ll visit one of the many mountain huts in Friuli Venezia Giulia it is likely that you will taste smoked ricotta, which in Friuli is called scuete fumade.
More than other cheeses, smoked ricotta reminds me of the mountains. I love it because I feel like I’m biting the scent of burnt wood, what we call stič.
Smoked Ricotta usually accompanies Friulian first courses, together with melted butter. It can be found grated on gnocchi, ravioli, and obviously on cjarsons, also in the sweet version.
Never would I ever thought I’d see it paired with blueberry jam in a tart … or rather in a croissant.
The Plasè Tart
I named the tart with blueberry jam and smoked ricotta Crostata Plasè in honor of a pastry shop in Martignacco, a town near Udine.
In fact, at the Plasè pastry shop, they serve croissants with berries jam and grated smoked ricotta.
When I tasted it for the first time, I immediately fell in love with it. When I left the pastry shop I felt the physical need to try it again at home.
Since I don’t know how to make croissants, I opted for a more affordable and simple tart. Easy, delicious, and with a slight stič aftertaste.
For the shortcrust pastry:
For the filling:
How to prepare the Blueberry jam and smoked ricotta tart
- Let’s start with the pastry. Mix the butter at room temperature with the sugar, flour, and baking powder until it forms a sandy mixture.
- Add the eggs and continue to knead until you form a dough.
- Put the dough in the fridge for at least an hour.
- After an hour, roll out the dough on the paper and place it in a round pan.
- Grate all the smoked ricotta you want onto the surface.
- Cover with blueberry jam (usually I put a jar and a half).
- Bake at 170° C for 30 minutes. Ventilated oven.